“Hummingbirds´watching is a very interesting activity on The Northern Peru Birding Route. For this reason, in 2019, we began to record the diversity of this family in the main observatories of this especies of northern Peru, having recorded, in that year up to 62 different species in total”.
The hummingbird registration was done during the tourist visits we made to the sites and through constant telephone coordination with the local managers.The purpose of this study is to learn more about the behavior of these species, generate relevant information and improve the planning and design of our tourism programs.
Results are listed below:
- A total of 62 species were recorded in 9 observatories along the Northern Peruvian Birding Route (in San Martin and Amazonas regions).
- Of these, 2 species are endemic.
- 4 registered species are threatened to extintion.
- 21 species have an unique records per site.
- There is 1 species that was recorded in 7 different sites.
- The largest number of species was registered in the period from May to July. Only in June, the month with the highest presence of species, 52 species were registered.
Main sites or observatories of hummingbirds of the northern Peru birdirding route
Record of hummingbirds on observatories on northern Peru