Hummingbird Route of Northern Peru
The main objective of the expedition is to observe approximately 50 hummingbirds, among them the Marvelous Spatuletail (Loddigesia mirabilis), a species endemic to Peru and recognized as one of the most beautiful in the world.
The trip starts in Tarapoto city, where we will visit the surroundings of Cordillera Escalera Regional Conservation Area to observe the Koepcke’s Hermit, among other species of hummingbirds and birds representative of that sector.
We will be moved to Moyobamba city where we will spend the night in local lodging with all the comforts.
On the second day of the expedition, we depart from Moyobamba to the Alto Mayo Protected Forest, where we will search for species such as the Rufous-crested Coquette and the Wire-crested Thorntail. In addition, this day we will enjoy a breakfast with local supplies from a natural reserve and high quality organic coffee. We will spend the night in a lodge in the middle of high altitude forests between Alto Mayo and Abra Patricia.
At the end of the day, we will go in search of nocturnal wildlife species, where the Long-whiskered Owlet stands out.
The third day we will continue in the surroundings of the Alto Mayo Protected Forest, Abra Patricia and Pomacochas Lake; this day we will go in search of Long-tailed Sylph, Royal Sunangel and Booted Racket-tail.
We will spend the night in local lodging in the town of Pomacochas, which has basic services.
On the fourth day we will focus mainly on the observation of Marvelous Spatuletail; we will also seek to observe Ecuadorian Piedtail and Buff-tailed Sicklebill. Finally, we will return to Moyobamba for nocturnal wildlife observation and overnight.
On the last day we will do birdwatching activities near Moyobamba to go in search of Rufous-crested Coquette and Great-billed Hermit. Finally, we go to the airport in the Tarapoto city where the service ends.
The service includes guiding and/or tourist orientation, entrance fees to tourist sites, lodging, food, land and river transfers, activities, use of telescopes or binoculars and informative material.
- Private transportation (including driver).
- Lodging and 3 meals per day.
- Entrance fees to natural reserves.
- Water, coffee and snacks.
- Nature guide.
- Specialized equipment and material.
- Air transportation (international and national)
- Extra drinks and meals on the route and lodging.
- Other extra service requested.
- International airfares, airport departure or visa fees, excess baggage charges, additional nights during the trip due to flight cancellations, insurance of any kind, laundry, telephone calls or messages, flight reconfirmation and items of a personal nature.