Scarlet-banded Barbet &
Cordillera Azul Antbird
This expedition stands out for the priority search of two very particular endemic birds, the Scarlet-banded Barbet (Capito wallacei) and Cordillera Azul Antbird (Myrmoderus eowilsoni).
Both species of birds are of great interest to the birdwatcher market, due to their rarity and difficulty of observation; in addition, in the case of the Scarlet-striped Barbet, it is the cover image of the book "Aves del Perú" (Birds of Peru).
The expedition begins in the Tarapoto city, after arrive at the airport we go to the hotel to rest and spend the night. The next day (second day) we leave very early (5:00 am) to the town of Bellavista and change vehicles for the transfer to the town of Flor de Café, where we arrive at approximately 4:00 pm and installation in local lodging with basic services.
After settling in, we will take a night walk to observe owls and other nocturnal wildlife species.
On the third day, the birding activity starts early (5:00 am) to look for the famous Scarlet- banded Barbet; the whole day will be spent on the various trails where this species has been recorded and a picnic breakfast will be served.
In the afternoon, we will return to the lodge and after lunch we will go on another hike to observe other birds in the surrounding area.
On the fourth and last day, the activity starts very early (5:00 am), we leave to observe the Cordillera Azul Antbird, we return at 9:00 am to the lodge, to have breakfast and then return to Bellavista; then, to Tarapoto city where the service ends.
The service includes guiding and/or tourist orientation, entrance fees to tourist sites, lodging, food, land and river transfers, activities, use of telescopes or binoculars, and information material.
- Private transportation (including driver).
- Lodging and 3 meals per day.
- Entrance fees to natural reserves.
- Water, coffee and snacks.
- Nature guide.
- Specialized equipment and material.
- Air transportation (international and national)
- Extra drinks and meals on the route and lodging.
- Other extra service requested.
- International airfares, airport departure or visa fees, excess baggage charges, additional nights during the trip due to flight cancellations, insurance of any kind, laundry, telephone calls or messages, flight reconfirmation and items of a personal nature.