Wildlife in Alto Mayo Wetlands – Tingana
The wetlands in the Alto Mayo Valley have a very diverse biodiversity, despite being above 800 m in altitude, it has typical plant communities of flooded lowland rainforest, with species of mosses, ferns, orchids, bromeliads, heliconias, marona, trees and palms.
There is an abundance of aguajes (Mauritia flexuosa) and renacales (Ficus trigona and Coussapoa trinervia).
There is also a high presence of mammals, birds, amphibians, fish, among others, which makes the place suitable for wildlife observation and photography.
The expedition starts early, at 5:30 a.m., in Moyobamba city, from where we depart to visit the Alto Mayo Wetlands, the highest in the Peruvian jungle. During the trip, we will have the opportunity to navigate through the renacales wetlands and observe the diverse flora and fauna of the area. A delicious regional breakfast will be served in the middle of the forest, to enjoy the beauty and tranquility of the place.
One of the main attractions of the expedition is the opportunity to observe different species of renacales, aguajales, orchids, bromeliads, and other animals such as the Common squirrel monkey (Saimiri macrodon), the Large-headed capuchin (Sapajus macrocephalus), Red howler monkey (Alouatta seniculus). Likewise, bird lovers will have the opportunity to observe the Black-fronted Nunbird (Monasa nigrifrons),Thrush-like Wren (Campylorhynchus turdinus), Chestnut-eared Araçari (Pteroglossus castanotis), Ringed Kingfisher (Megaceryle torquata), Green-backed Trogon (Trogon viridis), among many other species. During the tour, we may also come across a Hoffmann’s Two-toed Sloth (Choloepus hoffmanni) and South American Coati (Nasua nasua). In addition, we will visit an agro-ecological farm and have an experience in vanilla cultivation.
Our tour ends at 4:30 in the afternoon in Moyobamba city .
- Private transportation (including driver).
- Breakfast and lunch.
- Entrance fees to natural reserves.
- Water, coffee and snacks.
- Nature guide.
- Specialized equipment and material.
- Air transportation (international and national)
- Extra drinks and meals on the route and lodging.
- Other extra service requested.
- International airfares, airport departure or visa fees, excess baggage charges, additional nights during the trip due to flight cancellations, insurance of any kind, laundry, telephone calls or messages, flight reconfirmation and items of a personal nature.